Sunday, January 28, 2007

Burns Victim

General rule in life that should always be followed. When cooking on a gas hob, never leave the ring lit without a saucepan/frying pan on it as someone may reach over it and burn themselves thus ensuring a trip to A&E to get burn dressed and nylon jumper removed from burn.

Even more obvious rule, never do this if you are a junior doctor and the A&E department you will end up in is the one you work in and the staff treating you will be your colleagues.

Needless to say I have been the butt of many jokes these last few days, especially when people suggest that doctors are 'intelligent' or 'sensible'. The chorus of "oh no, look at MJ, she burnt her arm by leaning over a lit gas ring and she's a doctor" rings from all corners of the department.

I think me and my slightly poorly arm will retreat away from the world of humiliation and sarcasm and try and get some sympathy now, and give up on cooking, after all that's why instant microwave meals were invented.


Dr Michelle Tempest said...

Here's wishing your arm a very speedy recovery. I like your blog and I shall add you as a link from mine.

Calavera said...

Ouch! I hope you get well soon!!

You know, it's an indication of how brain dead I am at the moment, but I had to read your entry twice to realise that YOU'RE the one that got burnt!

Cath said...

Ooops. Not a good thing to do.
Hope it doesn't hurt too much!